In 2014, actress Emma Watson was made a UN Women Goodwill Ambassador. Through this appointment, Watson will help put focus on topics such as gender equality and inequality, and the campaign HeforShe.
Watch the speech Watson held launching this campaign here – and discuss and analyze this speech:
- what kind of rhetorical devices does Watson use to persuade you?
- what kind of topics is she focusing on?
- Is this a good speech? Why/why not?
- Do you sympathize with this cause? Why/why not?
“One girl with courage is a revolution”
Girl Rising is a film about the benefits of educating girls. It introduces nine girls from around the world in their struggle to get an education and achieve their dreams.
The film was released in 2013 and is part of the Girl Rising campaign.
As we watch the film, take notes, as you are to write a review afterwards. This will be graded.
Reflect on and include your own thoughts on the following questions in your review:
- Which girls’ stories made the greatest impression on you? Why?
- “One girl with courage is a revolution”. After watching the film, what does that phrase imply – do you agree or can you think of a better catchphrase?
- Girl Rising is neither pure journalism, nor fiction. The filmmakers have tried to go beyond the facts into the human experience. Did you find yourself getting lost in the stories in a way that was interesting or effective? Why or why not?
- The girls of Girl Rising live in very difficult circumstances. Yet they do not consider themselves as victims. Are you able, through the storytelling, to relate to their lives in a way that lets you empathize rather than sympathize? Why or why not?
- What are the messages from the film that you think will resonate most strongly with people who are not already familiar with this issue?
If you need advice on how to write a review, you can read it here. Remember to include sources you have used.