The French philosopher Voltaire once said:
“I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”
Watch Farred Zakaria on CNN talk about how conservative voices are being silenced, being concerned about how on both sides of the political spectre, people seem less interested to hear the arguments and opinions of the other side.
How far does freedom of speech go?
Can you lose your freedom of speech? How/why?
How should we react when someone uses their freedom of speech to offend us?
Visit this site from The Wall Street Journal and choose a topic.
See how conservative and liberal Facebook present the topic you have chosen.
Write a post where you discuss:
- which topic did you choose to look at?
- What is the conservative posts about, and what is the liberal posts about?
- Are there any posts which you felt were offensive or promoting hate/negativity? Why?
- Think about freedom of speech, should we be allowed to post whatever we want on social media, or are there limits?
- Look at the side you disagree the most with, and try to find their best argument. Is there anything you can see having merit, making sense, something you can understand that people would think? What?
(Picture from https://thequeerness.com/2016/03/07/freedom-of-speech-is-no-longer-about-rights-its-about-power/)