Outsourcing of companies is a common phenomenon in our globalized world. Todd, the main character of “Oursourced”, faces numerous challenges as he experiences a new culture with different traditions and ways of communicating.
After having watched the film, write a text in which you discuss what cultural differences Todd has learned about and must overcome in his encounter with the Indian culture. Discuss some of the scenes where this is visible and discuss the change Todd goes through.
As homework for Wednesday, January 31st, read chapters 7 and 8 (pages 77-98), and answer the questions below on your blog or on Fronter.
The questions concern chapters 6 and 7, we will work with ch. 8. together in class on Wednesday.
- Imagine that you are Changez and write a personal diary entry about the atmosphere in New York after 9/11.
- Work with the text, write answers in your own words and use quotes to enhance your statements: What does Erica say about Chris? How are Muslims treated in New York City? According to Jim – how does one gain power? What does Changez mean when he says “I was Chris and she was with Chris?”
- Find passages om chapters 7 and 8 that support the claim that Changez is changing in his loyalty, and becoming more patriotic to Pakistan.
Publish blog or hand in on Fronter before class on Wednesday.
We are now 2 chapters into the story of Changez, the American and the Reluctant Fundamentalist.
Write a blog post where you comment on:
- your impression of the story so far. Remember that you are allowed to be negative, but no matter what your thoughts are so far – try to explain and give examples of what you like or dislike.
- on the vacation in Greexe – Changez describes the group he travels with (excepting Erica) in different ways – how? And what does it say about his opinion of them? See if you can find at least one quote to underline your statements.
- What does Changez tell Erica about Pakistan?
- Why do you think he says that he wants to be “the dictator of an Islamic republic with nuclear capability?” (p. 31). How does his audience react to this?
After publishing your post, move on to read chapter 3.
Write a blog post where you compare the book and the film. Watch the trailer to the film and an interview with the author, Mohsin Hamid and the director, Mira Nair linked to in this blog post
In your blog post, comment on differences in plot, character descriptions and relationships, as well as focus and message in the film vs the book. To what extent do you think that these changes are justified or even improve the story? Or do you think they contribute to the film losing all the subtlety and complex ambiguity of the novel, as argued in this review ?
Former Prime Minister of Great Britain, David Cameron, held a famous speech on multiculturalism in 2012 at the Munich Security Conference. Current Prime Minister of Canada, Justin Trudeau, held a famous speech in 2015 at the Assembly of First Nations, where he announced that Canada was going to renew its relationship with its native groups.
After having seen Cameron’s speech, write a blog post of about 400 words where you present the basic ideas of the speech, comment on the speaker’s attitude and way of presenting his ideas to the audience. Also, choose one of the following statements and discuss them in writing on your blog.
- Non-violent extremists are just as dangerous as violent ones.
- Universities are bastions of freedom of speech and democracy; therefore, all ideologies no matter how extreme should be allowed to be taught.
- Multiculturalism separates groups of people from each other, assimilation should be encouraged.
On Wednesday, January 10th, we are going to watch Trudeau’s speech and blog the assignment handed out to you in class about how the Prime Minister and Canadian politicians have followed through on the promises made in this 2015 speech.
Gran Torino is a film released in 2008, staring Clint Eastwood – a war veteran trying to comes to terms with the multicultural society his neighborhood is turning into.
(Gran Torino movie poster, picture taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Torino)
It is an excellent film, with a 8,2 rating on IMDB, portraying multiculturalism, its challenges and its benefits.
Before watching the film you will be given the movie poster and some questions about the symbolism and importance of cars, and the city of Detroit, about American war veterans and Asian Americans in the USA.
Write a short blog post where you analyze the movie poster – what kind of impression does it give of the movie?
Also, try to answer the questions you have been given in this blog post. It should be posted on your blog today, as you will have about 45 minutes to work with it in class.
Today Americans celebrate Thanksgiving, which is the most important US holiday celebrated by Americans all over the world. However, in the US multicultural society not everyone feels comfortable celebrating Thanksgiving. Perhaps this article can give you an immigrant’s perspective on Thanksgiving as well as give you assications to the short story “Free for All”? If you would like to know more about this, read Viet Thanh Ngyen`s opinion “Feeling Conflicted on Thanksgiving”.