We are destroying the planet, in the words of Greta Thunberg “our house is on fire.”
What will happen if we fail to stop this trend?
Today we are going to watch A Plastic Whale, a documentary about how our ways of life are destroying our animal life. Before that, let’s read Brad Plumer’s article “Humans Are Speeding Extinction and Altering the Natural World at an ‘Unprecedented’ Pace” in the New York Times.
As you read, write down answers to the following questions:
- how are we speeding extinction and altering the natural world?
- how much has animal and plant life decreased for the past 100 years?
- are any species particularly at risk right now?
- which areas/countries are most at risk?
- are any solutions offered?
Now, go to WWF’s Species List of Endangered Species. Pick a specie and find out: why is this specie threatened with extinction and what needs to be done to save this one in particular. And, why does it matter whether we preserve it or not?
Make a blog post combining your findings from The NY Times and about an endangered specie.