- What is poverty?
- Try to make up your own definition of this term
- Who are the poor?
- Why does poverty exist?
- Will we ever be able to eradicate poverty?
Take 15 minutes to write down your thoughts on these questions, and then discuss with a classmate.
We are going to read to hand-out texts today, and work with them (one factual and one fictional.) The short story “A Real Lady” is written by an Indian freelance journalist and blogger, Nita J. Kulkarni. If you want to check out her blog, you can find it here. Kulkarni writes about life, politics, different issues, movies, literature etc, with a main focus on India, but not just that. Her blog is definitely worth the visit.
Today we are so lucky to have a visitor – Asria Mohamed. She works for The Norwegian Support Committee for Western Sahara, and will be talking about the Morroccan occupation, life in Algerian refugee camps, and the part of the UN in this conflict.
You are going to write a blog post about this visit – a portrayal of Asria and of what she works for. Therefor you need to pay close attention to what she tells us – maybe take notes (?) – and feel free to ask your own questions. You should also ask her permission to publish your blog post and if you take a picture of her – you need to ask permission to publish that as well. The blog post is to be published by Friday October 6th at the latest. If you have trouble publishing your blog you send what you have written to your teacher.
Enjoy the visit – Asria is an excellent speaker and a brilliant woman.
Picture from: http://www.vest-sahara.no/a1x1724
Join the world’s car free day and ride your bike or walk to school on September 22. Transportation counts for the highest emission of climate gasses in Norway. More interesting statistics on this can be found here:
Here in Fagerlia we are trying to set a record in the number of bikers passing the counting station next to the bus stop – Ålesund kommune will be there handing out surprises to bikers between 7.30 and 8.30:)
In 2014, actress Emma Watson was made a UN Women Goodwill Ambassador. Through this appointment, Watson will help put focus on topics such as gender equality and inequality, and the campaign HeforShe.
Watch the speech Watson held launching this campaign here – and discuss and analyze this speech:
- what kind of rhetorical devices does Watson use to persuade you?
- what kind of topics is she focusing on?
- Is this a good speech? Why/why not?
- Do you sympathize with this cause? Why/why not?
“One girl with courage is a revolution”
Girl Rising is a film about the benefits of educating girls. It introduces nine girls from around the world in their struggle to get an education and achieve their dreams.
The film was released in 2013 and is part of the Girl Rising campaign.
As we watch the film, take notes, as you are to write a review afterwards. This will be graded.
Reflect on and include your own thoughts on the following questions in your review:
- Which girls’ stories made the greatest impression on you? Why?
- “One girl with courage is a revolution”. After watching the film, what does that phrase imply – do you agree or can you think of a better catchphrase?
- Girl Rising is neither pure journalism, nor fiction. The filmmakers have tried to go beyond the facts into the human experience. Did you find yourself getting lost in the stories in a way that was interesting or effective? Why or why not?
- The girls of Girl Rising live in very difficult circumstances. Yet they do not consider themselves as victims. Are you able, through the storytelling, to relate to their lives in a way that lets you empathize rather than sympathize? Why or why not?
- What are the messages from the film that you think will resonate most strongly with people who are not already familiar with this issue?
If you need advice on how to write a review, you can read it here. Remember to include sources you have used.
A very interesting article about fake news and the use of “fake” photos in the conflict going on in Myanmar. We recommend all of you to read it – it’s only five minutes of your time!